Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Over and mun-done with!

It's over! I was hoping that I could write all about how my fears had been unfounded, how I needn't have worried and how it all passed off without a hitch, with zero or minimal tears being shed. But alas, it was not to be. The mundan was the MOST horribly dreadful experience with Nikki crying so hard and so piteously that the mother in law finally couldn't bear it any more and went off and locked herself in her room. To begin with everything went wrong- the barber type razor we had procured specially for the event turned out to be faulty. The chappie who had come home to do the mundan fiddled with it for close to an hour before throwing his hands up, so P went off to get another one which was immediately washed and sterilized. My OCD which normally goes into overdrive at times like these ensured that I took my time over the washing and sterilizing, so by the time we finally got started it was well past Nikki's bedtime and she was tired and sleepy. I was hoping that the fact that we were doing the mundan at home would make her more comfortable but the sight of the razor wielding barber was just too much for her, what with her current phase of stranger anxiety being at an all time high. She howled and howled and howled all the way through, while P held her and I  unsuccessfully tried to entertain her with cartoons, music, books, toys and all manner of funny and not so funny faces. She did get a few minor nicks which gave me the unbearable urge to break the razor wielding chappie's neck in three places but she didn't really get hurt, the crying was more due to worry and sleep driven exhaustion. And the razor chappie was really quite patient on hindsight, considering that I had grilled him like a drill sergeant before the mundan and was literally breathing down his neck with not-so-helpful comments along the lines of "Naheee! Sambhaal ke kijiye!" "Dheere dheere!" and "Usko lag gayi to mujhse bura koi nahee hogaa". Yes I really did say that.
I knew I shouldn't have watched that infernal saas-bahu soap with the MIL earlier that day, they always have a melodramatic rub off on my less than stellar Hindi speaking skills.

Finally it was over and we quickly bathed Nikki, dressed her scalp with a touch of Dettol and some BoroPlus as recommended by the MIL and rocked her to sleep, before breathing a sigh of relief that the ordeal was finally over. That night as I passed Nikki's cot on my way to bed I felt a sudden pang as I caught sight of her; she didn't really look too different, just very vulnerable and tiny and lost with her hair all gone. But the next morning, once our sprightly little imp was awake and back in mischief filled action, we found that the new look suits her, she looks rather like a cute baby Zoozoo :) And now I can look forward to her hair growing back and using that collection of baby hairclips and braid bands and cute all-girl hairstyles and....oooh someone stop me before I metamorphose into that coconut oil bottle wielding amma from the Garnier ad running after her daughter for the daily champi!

9 comments:

Momo's Ma said...

awww. must have hurt to watch. but dont worry too much. kids really dont remember. so chill. try and take care of nap times etc during the ear piercing thing so she is more settled.

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Yeah I will, I hope it goes off smoothly, have heard some real horror stories about ear piercing. Really hope ours is not as bad as the mundan was!

Anonymous said...

I was a mess when Buzz had her Mundan..she was so little..and looked so sad through the whole process. Cried a bit but I was able to entertain her..it was not really bad but I still had a real hard time.

So no ear piercing for her..anyways D would kill me even if I suggested such a thing. I will let her grow up and decide when she want to get that one done..

Phew..one was more than enough..

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Hmmm even we've been considering putting off the ear piercing till Nikki's old enough to decide for herself whether she wants to get it done. D'you know if there are any advantages of getting it done when they're very small? We had heard that if you do it within the first year it's relatively less painful coz the ear lobe is very thin then but we've missed that mark anyway.

Anonymous said...

I remember my ears getting pierced (almost scene by scene). I must have been 4-5. But I don't remember any pain.. I did flaunt my new earrings to all though..

vandana said...

hi...first time here ....hari cutting still constinues to be one of the most difficult things I have to go through with my kid ...I can so relate to what u have written ..

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Hi Vandana, oh God I was hoping it would get better as Nikki grows older, don't think I can take a repeat performance like that one more time :(

Unknown said...

lil p was just 3 months old when we got her ear pierced. touch wood. we faced no issues. she just sqeaked n thats all. hope whenever u get to it in future its a smooth affair.

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Yeah in my side of the family ears are pierced when the baby is just 12 days old and apparently its less painful then because the earlobe is paper thin, but we dilly dallied coz we felt Nikks was too little. I hope it goes smoothly too, whenever we finally get down to doing it!
Did you go the gunshot way or was it the traditional jeweler?