Thursday, July 15, 2010

A tag by any other name...

Blogging has been a bit slow lately thanks to the internet connection (hello you!) which has been acting more mercurial that the Rain Gods themselves. It had reached a stage where I'd become quite superstitious about switching the blasted internet switch on without an elaborate 'switch it on' ritual, you never know when the Internet Gods decide they are displeased after all and go on the blink without so much as a by-your-leave. Matters have been resolved since thankfully, and I can finally get down to the tag on gender stereotypes that Piper and Momo's Ma had tagged me to do some time ago. I've had great fun doing this tag, though I'm not so sure if it conforms exactly to the popular notion of gender stereotypes. From what I can see around me, not conforming to a stereotype is fast becoming a stereotype in itself these days, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway so here goes:

1. I DETEST shopping, and am completely hopeless at buying stuff for myself. P on the other hand loves shopping and can spend HOURS even at the local mom and pop store, shopping for household groceries. Most of our joint shopping expeditions end with me having to drag him kicking and screaming back home, when I reach the end of my tether and am on the verge of collapsing into a shopping induced dead faint. P is an excellent shopper though (I think Becky Bloomwood could take tips from him) and can be counted on for finding excellent picks in all sorts of stores ranging from high fashion to hardware.

2. I'm a pretty good cook, even if I do say so myself, but my culinary skills  fall short when it comes to making rotis; for the life of me I just can't get it right.  The dough is either too lumpy or too gooey and on the rare occasion that I get that right the rotis themselves decide that they would much rather masquerade as maps of assorted continents. Only once in my life did I manage to make perfect looking, almost circular rotis and I stored them away carefully to show them to P. When I unveiled them proudly later that evening I found, much to my horror, that they had hardened into completely inedible, rock solid slabs that would require a hammer if one were to attempt breaking them into bite sized pieces. Its all rather sad, because I really do love cooking and roti making is an art I would love to master.

3. Like a lot of other bloggers I read who've done this tag, I'm not into make up at all. Way back when we were just friends and P didn't know me too well, he'd fondly bought me a (really nice, come to think of it) state of the art makeup kit as a birthday gift from one his trips abroad,  which had stuff I'd never even heard of before(eyelash tip darkener anyone?). Eight years later the make up kit occupies pride of place; in my special keepsakes basket where I've stored stuff from the past that has sentimental value. Needless to say and much to poor P's chagrin it is completely untouched. Not that I have anything against makeup, in fact I'm rather awed by its power, but most days I just can't get myself to do more than run a comb through my hair and put on some lip gloss. Also I guess the older you get the more difficult it is to break old, entrenched habits; the one time I was coerced by a well meaning friend into wearing some lipstick and kohl at an office party, I spent the evening feeling hideously pan-caked and couldn't wait to go home and wash my face squeaky clean. The friend hasn't given up since and I'm nothing if not open to change, so you never know, I may just metamorphose into the next fat mu pro yet.

4. I love traveling, and mostly alone. I find traveling alone the best way to recharge my batteries, get my thoughts sorted and connect with myself. I haven't traveled alone for leisure for a very long time now, but back when I was working I'd enjoy even the solitary work related trips. I'd like to do a back packing trip on my own some day, though with my newly developed tendencies to get panic attacks about what might happen to Nikki when I'm in a 1.5 minute shower I don't see that happening anytime soon.

5. I'm excellent at packing and unpacking stuff and am the designated packer (and un-packer) for vacations, short trips, weekend getaways and even moving home. In fact after our relocation from Bombay last year when Nikki was under three months old, with minimal help, I think I can single handedly manage any kind of move now.

6. I'm a whiz at ironing clothes and can easily put the local dhobi out of business if I try (not sure if this is a gender stereotype but have you noticed how the local dhobi is almost always a man?). I have a half a mind to do so too considering the local dhobi in question has been trying to fleece us out of home and hearth by his money laundering ways.

7. The other thing that I'm a whiz at is giving a good head massage *Brief pause here to make a quick plea to The Lord. Dear Lord, while I truly am grateful for my blessings, do you not think in the next round you could bless me with some more conventional and infinitely more useful skills? Like singing and maybe strumming the guitar for example?* So yeah, the local champi wala is the other guy I can easily put out of business.

8. I'm not a terribly maternal person, and for the longest time I wasn't sure if I would be a good mother. Having Nikki has changed all that, though I have to say P is a whole lot better than I am at most things when it comes to her as well. I hope he doesn't read this post.

9. I don't particularly enjoy and am terrible at multitasking. The image of the super mommy who brilliantly manages home, work, social life and a gazillion other things does inspire awe but also scares me a little bit. Give me one thing to focus on any day and I'll do a much better job than if I'm trying to manage fifty other things at the same time.

10. I rather like gymming, even if I'm not the most terribly regular person around, and have constant visions of myself in a size zero avatar, dressed in the latest Juicy couture gym attire as I effortless power my way through a grueling cardio and strength training routine like a sleek powerhouse of energy and grace. In the meantime, I'll settle for plodding along on the treadmill huffing and puffing away in my current size 86 real life version.

I think the whole world and its aunt has done this tag by the time I've finally gotten around to doing it so there really isn't anyone left to tag. Guess I'll settle for the blue pants, I prefer 'em to the blue skirt any day :)

14 comments:

Swaram said...

not confirming to a stereotype is fast becoming a stereotype in itself these days - Ha ha! U r so rt :)

I ws bored of reading the same thing on most blogs, but u hv done it differently with the champi massage, dhobi and all that - liked reading it :)

Vandana said...

Fun fun read as always! Must say you write brilliantly well, and am getting quite addicted to your blog! Could soo relate to the roti making- have had several disasters with that as well and after several (failed) attempts have decided if I can't eat rotis I'll stick to bread a la Marie Antoinette :)

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Swaram...Thanks, glad you liked it. The dhobi and the champi wala bit..sometimes wish they were viable alternate career options!

Vandana...Thanks Vandana, glad you like it here. On the rotis, try try again till you succeed is my motto! And then like you say, there's always bread (or pizza)!

Divs said...

Well written! So true when you say not confirming to a stereotype is fast becoming a stereotype in itself these days! That's precisely why I have not taken up this tag at all...since that too is becoming a stereotype :-)

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

LOL yeah that is one way of looking at it! :) Hope lil N is feeling better now.

Megha said...

LOL have read this tag across quite a few blogs but you've done it differently, loved the dhobi and champi wala twist!

Sherry said...

I'd say your hubby's lucky you ain't a shopaholic! So what if he's good at shopping himself - I'm pretty sure he (and any man for that matter) couldn't have taken a Becky Bloomwood lookalike for too long! :D Way to go! Loved your post.. super entertaining!

EenieMeenie said...

What;s with your stupid net connection.. its depriving us of your posts! Really love reading your blog.. keep up the great work, and great to see you back! Love to Nikki

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Megha...Thanks, glad you liked it.

Sherry...True, and I never to fail to remind him otherwise! Becky Bloomwood does have her good points you know, I rather like her!

EM: Nice name :) Is there a story behind it? The net connection...what can I say, one must keep it appeased. Thank you for the kind words, glad you like it here :)

Piper .. said...

ha ha! I so love the way you write! :):) I see some similarities between us of course! And I cant make rotis either - not even if my life depended on it! :)

EenieMeenie said...

@newmum: yeah, eenie meenie minie moe is my toddler's favorite rhyme as of now :) just went along with this name because I couldn't think of anything more interesting!

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Piper...Yes I remember thinking that too when I read your list! Rotis are becoming like that elusive last frontier, I made some (was forced to) last evening,and no one wanted to eat 'em cause their lives depended on it. Hmph!

EM: Sweet :)

Uma said...

liked reading the list..I like your style of writing..

Diary Of A Stardusted Dreamer said...

Uma...Thanks a lot!